Friday, October 5, 2012

the sounds of home.

You might think a 30-something who'd lived away from home for the majority of her adult life (and in a different state for more than 6 years no less!) would not struggle with homesickness, but it's just not true.

I've spent much of this week struggling with not sleeping, craving sugar and bread (I'm doing a diet cleanse in an effort to help me sleep better, so far it's not working!) and trying to recover from last weekend's craziness. The result? I want nothing more than to drop everything and hang out with my family. It's not quite as bad as when you're sick and nothing can make you feel better except being pampered by mommy, but it's close!

I've tried talking to many of them on the phone but it's not the same. I bought plane tickets home for Christmas which worked for a bit til the reality of the dent in the bank account set in. But what has worked the best, what always seems to have magical powers to soothe and speak to my soul...music. I've found unexpected solace in listening to the sounds of home. It's not a cure-all but it's helped.

This week's prescription? Take a listen:

(I thought the starry background rather appropriate)

What's been playing on your personal soundtrack this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment