Wednesday, October 10, 2012

listening to a prophet.

Sorry for the slackerness. I keep thinking I'm going to catch up on life but it seems the more I try the more life catches up with me. But it's been a good week and I have lots to share so you'll get a deluge of mini-posts the next little while.

First up, a re-cap of General Conference which was Ah.Maz.Ing! It's always a good experience but some times I just get more out of it than other times. This year someone suggested I write down a list of questions and concerns I had going into it and begin with a personal prayer beforehand that I might get guidance or answers to those things I was worried about. What a fantastic idea. (Sorry I can't remember who my brilliant suggester was or I'd give you credit!) It helped me to focus my thoughts and attention better and I definitely felt as if several of the talks were geared specifically to what I needed to hear.

I've made a nice long list of uplifting and inspiring quotes to keep me going as well as some suggestions of things to implement (or remove from!) my life. You can read, watch, or listen to all of the talks here in their entirety if you'd like. But here are a few of my favorite thoughts of the moment:

Dieter F. Uchtdorf-
Discipleship is the pursuit of holiness and happiness. It is the path to our best and happiest self.

Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey...Doesn’t it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?

(N)o matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it.

 Neil L Andersen-
These fiery trials are designed to make you stronger, but they have the potential to diminish or even destroy your trust in the Son of God and to weaken your resolve to keep your promises to Him. These trials are often camouflaged, making them difficult to identify. They take root in our weaknesses, our vulnerabilities, our sensitivities, or in those things that matter most to us. A real but manageable test for one can be a fiery trial for another.

How do you remain “steadfast and immovable” during a trial of faith? You immerse yourself in the very things that helped build your core of faith: you exercise faith in Christ, you pray, you ponder the scriptures, you repent, you keep the commandments, and you serve others.

Henry B. Eyering-
The Lord’s delays often seem long; some last a lifetime. But they are always calculated to bless. They need never be times of loneliness or sorrow or impatience.

Thomas S. Monson-
Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives.

Linda K. Burton-
First observe, then serve.

Sometimes we are tempted to serve in a way that we want to serve and not necessarily in the way that is needed at the moment. ...[If we] question...ourselves as we serve and ask, “Am I doing this for the Savior, or am I doing this for me?” our service will more likely resemble the ministry of the Savior.

So, how 'bout you? How did you spend your weekend? I hope it was a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment