Wednesday, February 27, 2013

a good book.

Our first book club meeting was a wonderful success. We had some lively discussion about the characters and plot with people siding on both the 'like' and 'dislike' end of each.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about all of it myself. There was some interesting progression among the two main characters, both rather weak females (though Dr. Swenson came across as domineering and strong I feel it was more of a front to hide her insecurities.) The ending was ambiguous enough that we argued a bit over whether Marina stays home in the north (with running water and mattresses) or finds herself drawn back to the wilds of the Amazon.

There was a discussion on cannibalism and how they decide who to eat. We all shuddered over the mysteries of giant snakes and the various creepy crawlies that dwell in the murky waters of the river. And we all equally bashed the love scene that seemed thrown in for the sake of a love scene.

It was a super slow start for me. I didn't get interested until Marina finally made it into the jungle and then things moved at a break neck speed until it reached the rather abrupt ending. It wasn't one of my favorites but it definitely made for an interesting discussion. Have you read it?  What are your thoughts?

Next month we're reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Care to read along?

No comments:

Post a Comment