Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happiness is...a culinary adventure.

I love browsing through farmer's markets and the 'exotic' section of the grocery store.  You find so many beautiful and strange looking things.

This week's spontaneous purchase was this crazy little melon.


A pepino. I'd never seen/heard of one before and I was intrigued so I brought it home with me. And then had absolutely no idea what to do with it.

The skin was smooth like a tomato and I expected the flesh to be similar as well, but it was surprisingly  melon looking when I cut into it; the seeds concentrated in the center like a miniature cantaloupe. But it was basically tasteless, a tiny hint of sweetness with an undertone of bitterness...but only if you tried really hard to find them.


Never having had one before I don't know if that's typical or not but I was determined not to waste it!  So, treating it like a green tomato (which it also sort of resembled) I grabbed some bread crumbs, seasoned them a bit, dipped the slices in an egg wash followed by the bread mix and fried them up in a pan.


The results were actually pretty tasty.  I was only missing a ranch sauce to dip them in!

Have you had any food adventures lately? Tasted something new or created something surprisingly tasty? Eaten one of these peculiar pepinos?  (should I give them another shot or prepare them differently?)  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment