Saturday, January 22, 2011

Happiness is...the fountain of youth!

Last night I went with a group of friends to go ice skating.  It was about 20 degrees out and the wind was gusting...basically it was COLD! We'd bundled up (I personally had on at least 3 layers) and set out for downtown DC. The National Gallery has an outdoor sculpture garden with a fountain where they have jazz concerts and things in the summer, but when the cold weather comes they ice it over, light it up and send us all back in time.


It could have been the mittens or the fact that my roommate and I skipped half way there to try and keep warm, but stepping hesitantly onto the ice I felt the years (and my feet) slipping away.  My church youth group would take us skating nearly every winter and I took many outings to the rink with family and friends growing up.  You'd think with all that practice I'd be a pretty decent skater. Not so!  :)  But part of the magic comes in stumbling and sliding and wobbling like a new colt on spindly legs. Being a bit hesitant and on unfamiliar ground is one of the surest ways to make you feel like a kid again, when so much of the world was foreign and bigger than you. But just as powerful is the joy and giddiness you feel as you zip around that oval with the wind (no matter how frigid) whipping your hair out behind you and the taste of flying without leaving the ground.


And even better is the nice cup of hot cocoa and the fuzzy blankets waiting for you when you get home!  Reader, how did you spend you weekend? Were there moments of bliss and childlike wonder?  If not, you still have Sunday to find some.  Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, You have such a fun blog. I'm excited to follow you now. You have a way of writing that makes me feel like I'm there. I can't wait to follow you on this journey. I love you tons. Thanks for the desire to share and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete