Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a made-up holiday!

Arrrrgh mateys!

Anyone who has ever surfed the web will probably realize that today is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I'm not sure what the fascination is with pirates though I admit to falling under their spell as well, but their legends have endured since the days of Blackbeard and before. I, personally, have spent vacations wandering old pirate haunts in N and S Carolina and even recently in Newport, RI. Or singing along with the animatronics on Disney's famed ride. (I think that's still probably my favorite ride of all!)

This morning I even watched Pirates: Band of Misfits which amused me greatly.

Here are a few other ways to get in the pirate mood and celebrate the scurvy rats who sail the seven seas!

Read--


Watch--
everyone's favorite pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow

who doesn't have a soft spot for Captain Hook?
the most terrifying pirates in my list
Peter Ustinov at his best!
for the treasure and their looming presence if not an  actual on-screen appearance by One-Eyed Willie

this version with Christian Bale is my favorite!

Listen to---

Yes, I know.  Not actually about pirates but it's really catchy and always a fun listen!  But here's another one that's pure pirate, a take-off from The Veggie Tales re-done by Legos and Relient K...good stuff!


Eat/make/do--
Throw a party!
Eat cookies
Decorate!

This is obviously just a sampling for the possibilities are virtually endless but it's a start for getting your timbers shivered.

Avast ye hearties, get going before I have ye keelhauled and walkin' the plank! Savvy?


**all book and movie images from Amazon, you can purchase any of them there!

No comments:

Post a Comment