Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Happiness is...reliving history.


Today's Google Doodle made me smile.

I've spent too many hours to count poring over Egyptian museum exhibits and reading books about Egypt (both historical and mythical) and falling in love with this unique part of the world.

I know I've posted on this before so I won't rehash it all again but I did enjoy reliving a bit of my own history and remembering the amazing trip I took to Egypt with my mom and sister a few years ago. It was almost like stepping back in time. The language, the people, the food, the smells, the bustling market places, the camels and carts and calls to prayer are all timeless. And then there are the pyramids, the sphinx, the great Nile, the hieroglyphs, the monuments that speak from centuries past.  There's no place like it.





Howard Carter's a slightly controversial figure but there's no doubt he played an important role in bringing much of what we know about Egyptian history to light and generating new interest in the subject. Happy 138th birthday to the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment