Wednesday, September 4, 2013

a good book.

Have you given me up for dead yet? Some of these days it seems to be not too far from the truth. I had mistakenly thought that being unemployed would mean days of leisure; time to work on my book, catch up my scrapbooks, make homemade jam, take a photography class, and a million other things. Not true. So far I've spent the majority of my time unpacking and trying to bring a bit of order to the shambles that is most of my existence right now. And then hours and hours of working on a TESOL certification class among all the other preparations for Thailand.  I'm in a bit of a holding pattern, waiting still for my placement and not knowing where exactly or what I'll be doing for the next six months. Aside from my class I've done all I can do, at this point, to get ready but there's still so much to do and so much that leaves me feeling unsettled.

In the midst of all the crazy I did find a bit of time (on the second day back) to visit my local library. (Have I mentioned how much I heart the library?!)  Let's ignore the fact that I brought a stack of books with me that I specifically didn't pack so that I'd have them to read while I was here (and while we're ignoring, please disregard the 24 or so boxes of books that I did pack and move and the who-knows-how-many other boxes were already here in the storage unit!) I have this completely irrational --obviously-- fear of being caught without something to read. So, to the library I went!

Here's my first take-home pile (minus 2 that didn't make it into the photo for some reason):

I'd love to tell you that you'll get reviews of all of these.  But I know that just isn't going to happen.  If you're lucky I'll give you a quick recap of them all. So far I've got 3 left, one of which --Godel, Escher, Bach--I think will take me at least the month I've got left before I go. (Anyone read it? Are those 700+ pages really worth it?! Maybe a better question is, will I get anything out of it?)

I am hoping to get back on a better schedule, though. A little regularity and structure are desperately needed and I'm slowly but surely getting there. Fingers crossed it will happen before I have to leave! I will be at least a bit more consistent in the posts from here out, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment