Monday, July 23, 2012

Happiness is...a good book (Summer Reading edition #21)

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Author: Eric Litwin
Illustrator: James Dean
Published: 2008
Pages: 32
Age Range: 3-7
Genre: Picture Book/Fiction
Cover Score: ****
Overall Score: ****
Rating: G

First Sentence: Pete the Cat was walking down the street in his brand-new white shoes.

Pete’s groovin’ down the street in his great big white shoes. He loves his shoes so much he walks down the street singing this little song "I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes…" until he steps in a big pile of strawberries that turn his shoes red. But he doesn't get down, it's all good. Instead of throwing a fit or getting upset he adjusts his song. "I love my red shoes, I love my red shoes..." Until he steps in a pile of blueberries. Now his song sings the merits of his blue shoes. And so on. With a great little moral at the end. Keep walking along and singing your song cuz it's all good!

The large painterly illustrations in bright primary colors reach out and grab you while Pete’s chill attitude with his coffee and his banjo, his guitars and statements of ‘groovy’ will have you mellowly grooving right along with him.

Check out the video of the author reading it—guaranteed you’ll get it stuck in your head!


No comments:

Post a Comment