Monday, December 5, 2011

Happiness is...a fresh Christmas tree!

Okay, fresh is sort of a strong term. But anything that has once semi-recently been alive and has nothing to do with plastic or PVC, aluminum or animal bristles counts as basically fresh in my book.

My roommate and I ventured out Saturday morning where we found a formerly fresh spruce just a little taller than myself, bound and gagged with a few of its closest friends in the parking lot of our local Home Depot. The friendly sales people Saran wrapped it to the roof of our car and we proceeded to drive oh-so-hesitantly back home where we liberated it and gave it a much needed drink before bedecking it with various lights and baubles and freeing it of about half of its needles.

I wish I could take a picture of the smell, because frankly, that makes me happier than anything else. Nothing says Christmas like the scent of 'fresh' pine, though the sight of a brightly lighted tree (fake or fresh) is pretty stiff competition.











Look for more posts about holiday traditions and faves in the weeks to come. And I'd love to hear some of your favorite holiday doings.  What does Christmas mean to you? When does the holiday season truly start?  Are there things you look forward to each year? Things you dread? I'm challenging anyone who actually reads this to post something, anything in the comments. I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Ooohh, a challenge. Check it. My favorite family tradition is the making of the Potica. It is a Slovenian sweet bread filled with nuts. I don't really care for the taste of it, but I love being in the kitchen with my mom and sister making something together, that generations in my family have been making, well, for generations. Circle of life, in bread form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winner! I may even have a prize for you the next time I see you :)
    Thanks for sharing. What a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete