Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happiness is...a day trip!

A friend and I decided to venture down to Charlottesville today to enjoy the gorgeously crisp fall weather and get out of the city for a bit. 

We started with an essential road trip stop at Sonic for the breakfast of champions...


a pumpkin pie shake and a cherry lime-aid!  Mmmmm, perfection!

Then we drove the rest of the way and had some delicious lunch at Miche Tavern near Monticello (which we skipped today since we'd both been there already, but such an amazing place! If you've never been, add it to your bucket list, right now!) By the way, pewter dishes make me happy!


Next it was into the town of Charlottesville itself where we spent several hours wandering through the pedestrian shopping district indulging in boutiques and kitschy shops of all kinds. (I bought some fun Washi tape for myself and some Christmas presents to even things out.) And we soaked up some of the fun atmosphere and charm of the town.


We ran into the Elders (Mormon missionaries) who were adding some graffiti to a fun chalk wall installation piece and chatted with them for a few minutes in the sunshine.


And then we made our way to UVA campus where we were late enough to have missed all the tours but saw the outside of the rotunda,

watched the school's Quidditch team play a bit of a game and visited Edgar Allan Poe's preserved dorm room


and then had some delicious dumplings and spent some time chilling in a coffee shop sipping on some hazelnut steamers and reading poetry.  

Now I'm finishing it up by blogging, of course and shortly I'll be crafting with my Washi tape while watching Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson (the blogging is interrupted by much laughter) in Shanghai Noon.  (Holy crap! The vultures are eating my head!!!)  It's been a truly lovely day!

On the writing front, I'm off to a super slow start but I have gotten an outline down and some character sketches ready to go. I'm hoping next week will be much more impressive in the word count department.

How did you spend your Saturday?


NaNoWriMo word count: 2536

No comments:

Post a Comment