Saturday, July 23, 2011

Happiness is...a busy weekend.

Despite the horrendously hot and humid weather that is upon us (a friend picturesquely described it as knowing what it must feel like to live inside a person's armpit) I have a full calendar of things to do this weekend, many of them out doors. (Hooray!?)

My sister flew in from Utah yesterday afternoon and after the requisite stop for some sustenance and gossip we set out directly to do some outlet shopping. (She was much more successful than I, darnit!)

Next it was off to the gorgeous Wolf Trap venue of the performing arts to see Sweeney Todd. We sat on the lawn feeling as if we were in a sauna even after the sun went down. It was a bit miserable actually. But the music was devilishly delightful and made up for it! We were also in great company and well-fed which can go a long way to making any situation bearable.

Such a gloriously gruesome production! I'm not sure why I like it so much because it really is dark and disturbing but I love it. We got into a discussion amongst ourselves about the varying merits of the live productions versus the movies and which performers are best and so forth.  I remember being shocked when I found out that Angela Lansbury played Mrs. Lovett on Broadway but had never seen any of her performance.  Assured that she was fantastic I came home and Googled it.  Thanks to the marvels of the internet and Youtube I'll share a bit of it with you!
As you can tell from the lyrics it's got more than a bit of the ick factor about it and yet it's so catchy and clever.  It's also a grat story about the value of forgiveness. Really. Benjamin Barker aka Sweeney Todd had been greviously wronged and in just about everyone's eyes is justified in seeking revenge for the lives of his wife and daughter destroyed by evil men.  And yet his insistence at getting even lead to his own downfall despite his technically getting back at those who ruined his life. A lesson to be learned there for sure.

If you haven't seen the production or heared the music I would highly recommend it (if you can stomach the subject matter.) The Johnny Depp movie version does a great job (though never as powerful or impressive as a live performance, but he's so pretty even in his creepy make-up it's more than worth it!) though it is a bit bloodier thanks to special effects and such. Make that tons bloodier...it's pretty intense at times. I found myself listening more than watching at some points but I don't have a very high tolerance for blood. Just be forewarned!

Anyhow, the rest of the weekend will include various wedding activities for a good friend (outdoor games and a picnic, sure to wilt the heartiest of us), a possible 24th of July Hootenanny (I do miss having a second holiday full of BBQs and fireworks in July), a trip into town to spend some time amongst the monuments and air-conditioned museums, more shopping and delicious food. It promises to be very hot but very eventful.

And this will serve as my pre-apology excuse in case I miss any of my book review postings!  Just like to make sure I've covered all my bases you know.  :)

I hope your own weekend is full and fulfilling and not nearly as sweat-inducing as mine.  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment