Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happiness is...modern technology.

I don't watch a lot of TV.  I don't have a lot of patience for it. I hate commercials. I have never been able to sit through an entire episode of any sort of reality show whether it features song, dance, bachelors, survivors, apprentices or housewives. And that right there limits my remaining options considerably. I can never seem to be able to remember when the shows I can actually tolerate are on. And then there's the fact that I have a million and a half other things to do and can rarely find the time to just sit and watch. Plus having to share a TV with roommates who never seem to share my taste in shows (they always fall into the category of people who watch shows that require vote-offs and ridiculous amounts of what I would consider public humiliation but the rest of the world seems to think of as fame) makes carving out a bit of time to have control over the remote even harder.            

Enter the DVR.

I have silently mocked people who have worshiped their DVRs for being addicted to television and not having enough of a life to find something more worthwhile to do with their time. I now apologize to all of you from the bottom of my heart. What an amazing invention! I can now pre-program and record the shows I would have forgotten to watch otherwise and watch them at my own convenience sans commercials. Yes, I'm always a bit behind the technology curve and those of you who have had DVR for years are now mocking me. (That's okay, I can take it.)

Like iPods, this is one of those things I'd originally deemed superfluous and would never have gone out of my way to purchase or pay for. (Who needs to have access to all of their music collection at any given moment in time, I mean really?!)  :)  But having moved into a house where it was already part of the package I shrugged and figured I'd never use it.  My iPod, when I finally got one, became an indispensable part of my life and so too, shall my DVR, I'm afraid. Just one more way to be tethered to technology.  *sigh*

But I can go to book club tonight knowing that I will have this week's episodes of

and



waiting for me when I get home.

I can live with that!

2 comments:

  1. Auggie wearing a vest makes my heart stop every time. EVERY time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I think we must be kindred spirits! What is it about that skinny little white boy that makes him so darn cute?

    ReplyDelete