Monday, January 2, 2012

Happiness is...reaching a milestone.

Happy Blogiversary to Me!

This has been a year of change and adventure, of food and friends, music and movies and breakthroughs. Today is the true beginning of a new year (holidays don’t count in my world), my one year blogiversary (133 posts and counting!), and my birthday (I’m not saying which one.)

With a new year come new challenges and opportunities, new adventures and change. I have a few big projects in the works that I’m not quite ready to make public yet as well as all of the things I mentioned in my year in review post earlier, enough to keep me busy for quite some time.

I leave tomorrow on my trip to South America and Antarctica and am both thrilled and terrified. (Click here to see a rough outline of my itinerary.) It will be the first time I’ve gone anywhere truly by myself. I’ve flown alone and even taken weekend roadtrips a couple of hours from home but nothing to this extent. I’ll be with a tour group of course, and I have an unknown entity in my roommate whom I’ve never met before (here’s hoping we get along!) but for all intents and purposes I’ll be on my own. And I’m a bit nervous. But I’m so excited not only at the prospect of travel and I’ll that I’ll be able to see and do, but also of having some unstructured time to myself. I have a lot of things to think about (see unmentioned projects above) and a lot of work I’m hoping to get done on my books. I also intend to take about 15 million pictures of all of my adventures and see what I can figure out on some of photo editing tools.

And then there are the onboard gym facilities. My goal is to take advantage of the yoga classes and start up some running so that I can work my way up to a 5K later this spring.

I’m also taking just this one physical book (and my brother’s Nook, there’s no way I could be gone a whole month and only read one book!) This was a Christmas present and is supposed to be a fantastic resource by David A. Bednar. I’m going to use it to kick-off my scripture study goal. Each month I’m going to tackle a different subject for an in-depth study and instead of just taking random notes I’ll pretend I’m giving a talk on the subject and record what I learn accordingly. That way I’ll not only have to read and study but organize my thoughts, personalize it all while looking for connections and applications. I’m hoping it helps me to get more out of my studies this year.

I may or may not have regular access to the internet so I’m hoping to keep you all informed of my travels and adventures along the way but I can’t promise anything. So, in case it doesn’t happen until I get home, here’s a little video to keep you company.


I'm pretty sure this is what it's going to be like :)

Happy Birthday to me! (And Happy New Year to all of you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment